Sunday, June 10, 2012

Upperhand

I have to admit that business communication and IELTS prep class give me some refreshment between my daily routines. At least i go to other place, meet other friends, and learn something. Not only commute from my boarding house to office every day. 

So, there's a friend in my class. He got the first rank of the placement test result. I know that his english is good,  he used to be debater too when he was in high school. While i got the 9th or 10th. I wasn't really serious on the test due to sleep deprivation. So i didn't really care about the rank (well, i did, a lil bit). 

I believe that his english is good. But i believe my english is also good and i still get the upperhand among other students in my class. Ok, i know it sounds so arrogant and cynical but that's the way i see everything. I consider everything as a competition. I over estimate myself to gain more confidence. I know it isn't right though. I had 8 other students above my rank, but i didn't really count them. I focused on his rank. I was so curious because i never know his writing or speaking.

So, last meeting, we had a conversation class and i was in a group with him. We had to tell some stories to others. He told his story and that's my first time i heard him speaking english. Yes, he's english is good and probably better than me. At least i know that his test result wasn't just coincidence. He could maintain his grammar while narrating his story fluently. Honestly, i didn't really pay attention to his story but i did grammar and pronunciation checking. Trying to find a hole in his speaking. I didn't really find it.

Then i realized that his english is better than me. Ok, Fine. I felt like not that cool anymore. Tried to put him as a competitor, but he's a good friend so i can't treat him so. As usual, i always get intimidated when i confront someone who is better than me. Then It was my turn to tell my story. I was nervous for i was afraid of making mistakes. I couldn't maintain my grammar while arranging my sentences.

Sometimes it's just hard to accept that i meet someone better than me, especially when the person is my friend.

That's all.

No comments: