Friday, June 08, 2012

Your job is not to wonder why. Your job is to do or die.

Another part of being APM besides scheduling, monitoring, and estimating is being a nanny for the developers. Sometimes i have to push them and give them pressure when the deadline is tight. But i know that people have limitation. Some people can do harder job than the other, while the rest can't. I don't really like pessimistic thought. When i work as a programmer and i find some bugs without having a clue, i'll keep trying to find a way to solve the problem. I never say i can't. Unless, the problem is out of my capability. But i should have find it out in the very beginning and i won't take that job.

That's why i really hate when my developers ask me "Jar, kalo ini ga selesai gimana ?" , "Jar, aduh gue udah ga bisa, gimana nih ?" , or  "Jar, kalo gue ga bisa gimana ?".

Oh, come on. Your job is not to wonder why, your job is to do or die. Fortunately i don't really have big emphaty for whiners. When the ask me so, i just say "harus selesai hari ini. no choices.". Sometimes, when they know the fact that we can't delay anymore, they keep asking me the same thing. At that point, sometimes i unconsciously give them motivational session.

"Lo itu nggak boleh bilang nggak bisa. Tiap apa - apa bilang nya nggak bisa. Nanti jadi ga bisa beneran. Itu tuh kayak self talk. Kalo terus - terusan bilang gitu, itu nanti ngirim energi negatif ke otak lo. Jadi harus optimis. Harus bisa."

But still, they keep whining. Errr ... They are all older than me but they act like kids. I have to hear their whining every time they face a problem. My only solution is i don't listen them and keep forcing them to work till the last drop and don't allow them to go home before they finish their work.

I know it won't work to push people working when they're already fatigue, but i just want them not to give up. I want them to have more sense of responsibility and more willingness to try than giving up easily.

Grow up kids !

No comments: