Sunday, August 29, 2010

Thank You

My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why
I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window,
And I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be grey
But your picture on my wall
It reminds me that it's not so bad
It's not so bad
This song reminds me of the first time i tried to speak english. I was elementary schooler when this song was released. I hear western songs more than indonesian at that time. I didn't understand the meaning of the song, i didn't even know the exact lyrics but i sang the song with random words but same sounding.

There was a time when my english teacher gave me a group task to translate english song and sing it in front of  class. I was not in a rush to do this task because i thought it will be easy for me coz i know a lot of english songs. So, in the morning i was looking for some songs from MBS [Music Book Selection], a magazine which contains western and indonesian song's lyrics. Well, i find this song Dido - thank you. I know the song i can sing it in front of class. I took a dictionary and started to translate it word by word. Started from the first lyrics "my tea's gone cold". I searched what is tea what is gone what is cold. And i found it :
Tea : teh , gone : pergi, cold : dingin. So it should be "tehku pergi dingin". But the lyrics didn't translate, i didn't understand. So i asked my old brother.

me : "A, gone itu apaan sih ?"
Aa : "pergi"
me : "kalo cold ?"
Aa : "dingin"
me : "Kalo my tea's gone cold berarti teh ku pergi dingin donk ?"
Aa : "Ya jangan di artiin satu - satu donk"

Ok, now what else ? it seemed hard. And the time was running out. So i changed the song with more familiar and simple song. Sheila on 7 - just for my mom. Apparently, my friends didn't know the song. So when we performed in front of class, only me who sang the song loudly while my friends just mumbling. My teacher gave me a note which says  : "KELOMPOK LIEURRRRRRRRR !!!!!"

Hahaha, it's always fun to remember my childhood. Although i spend my childhood in my own room with radio, magazine, and mtv without friends it was so fun. While today, when i've grown up and can do anything which adult people do, it seems boring. It's also funny to realize that i hear more indonesian songs than western songs. Well, i'm kinda facing taste degradation.

1 comment:

gayatri-ardila said...

hahaha... lucu lucu..

jadi inget "i don't wanna be told to grow up" hehe